Wednesday, March 12, 2014

There are many ways to the top of the mountain . . . or are there?

So this week, not too many miracles happened.  In fact, we had our yakusokosha (progressing investigator) drop.  We went and visited her on wednesday and taught her about the Book of Mormon.  And she still wanted to be baptized and took the Book of Mormon that we gave her.  She's 10 years old and really wants to have an eternal family.  However, on Saturday when we went to try and meet the mom for permission, we met her aunt instead.  Unfortunately, she is extremely hantai (antagonistic).  She told us to go away and to not bother them anymore because no one in their family is interested.  We asked if we could meet her mom but her mom refused to meet us, instead, she sent her daughter out to return the Book of Mormon and she told us that being baptized is impossible.  We tried our best.  So currently we have 12 investigators who are not progressing in any form or fashion.  It's very easy in this situation to become discouraged. 

But I'm not.  I refuse to let Satan get me down and say, "no one is going to believe this."  "There's no point in me being here."  "Why do you even bother?"  "No one is going to read this book"  "No one is going to come to church." However,  I know I have a purpose.  I am here for my love of my Savior, Jesus Christ. He suffered just as much for me as for all of my Japanese brothers and sisters who just don't know yet. I know that my Savior, Jesus Christ called me to Japan.  He has a purpose and a reason for calling me here. He is preparing people to hear this message.  I just have to rely on Him and let Him guide me to them.  

This is the Lord's work.  I feel so honored and blessed that He called me on a mission.  I am so grateful for the experiences that I've had.  I'm so grateful for the companions I've had and the things I've learned.  I'm so grateful for all the people I have had an opportunity to teach here in Japan.   I love them and I only want the best for them.  Yes, they break my heart.  Yes, I've wet my pillow at night for them because I LOVE them. It's so hard because I know what can make them happy, and yet they choose otherwise.

My purpose here is to help others.  Not just non-members, but members, missionaries, people, everyone I meet - to come closer unto Christ through His beautiful gospel of faith, repentance, and baptism.

I love this gospel.  I have gained a deeper testimony and knowledge of the importance of church, the sacrament, the book of Mormon (even though I already loved it before) and the importance of being a member missionary.  The importance of praying for specifics and not just being satisfied with rote prayers. To pray to find those who are searching for this gospel.  To not over think things but to just go and do!  

How lucky are we to have this gospel?  To have this safe anchor and peace in our lives?  There is a phrase in Japan that we nickname "the devil's analogy"  it goes, "There are many ways to the top of the mountain."  That is a lie.  And Archbold shimai and I HATE that phrase because it's not true.  There is only ONE way.  That is through the gospel of Jesus Christ through the restored priesthood of God. 

God speed, good luck, love you all,

Bevan Shimai

Ocean park in Ako - Ahoy Matey!