Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kyoto is a different city than Kobe . . honto ni (really) !!


こんにちわ皆さん! (Hello everybody!)


Hope you're all doing well!
So this past week we had transfers!  I definitely had mixed feelings as I left Kobe.  I hope to return there again.  I'm definitely going to miss my investigators, but I know they are in good hands.  We had a really good lesson last Tuesday.  Fish Shimai had set up an appointment with a student from Kobe University.  He's originally from France and he's here studying Japanese. We met him in a convenience store and we ended up exchanging numbers.  We talked to him a little bit about religion at the time, but he didn't seem very interested.  But we still called to follow up a few days later.
We set up an appointment for last Tuesday, and we invited the chorotachi to come with us so that we could pass him off to them.  The lesson was amazing!  I loved it!  I was on cloud nine because we were teaching simply, and we were answering his questions and he seemed to have a sincere desire to know the truth.  We gave him a French Book of Mormon and he said he wanted to read it!  I am so stoked!  I love being a missionary!  This is the best thing I could be doing with my time.

I love teaching people that God does exist!  That He is yours and my Heavenly Father.  He has a body of flesh and bones that is perfect.  I love knowing that we have a purpose on this earth! It's so great to see the lights turn on in our investigator's eyes.
So yes, I was a little sad to leave Kobe.  But, I was also really excited to be transferred to Kyoto...  ;)
Yes, the moving company here no longer transports bikes. So that means we can no longer bring our bikes with us :/  sad. I know.  So now I have a bike that needs a tire to be replaced, a seat extender is needed and maybe even a new seat (It's really painful).  Yeah... fun... So I'm doing that today

Kyoto is definitely a different city than Kobe... honto ni (really)  The people are a lot grimmer, the streets smell and I get to see American tourists.  (No wonder Europe hates us!).  Anyway, in Kobe I would say hi to people and they'd say hi back.  Here, people turn away from you or don't even make eye contact. It's so sad!  But I'm going to keep going!  I've tried bowing while on my bike which has brought me better results.  People will smile and say hi back!  It's great.  Granted, not everyone but that's ok.  I'm going to make some changes around here.
I know that I have a purpose to be in Kyoto.  I may not know what it is yet, but I'm going to do my best.

Tojo Shimai is the best!  I love her!  I love nihonjin companions!  I love that she loves cooking and sushi!!!!!  I think we're getting sushi today for lunch :D  She is super nice and trying really hard to speak /learn English and I'm trying really hard to speak/learn Japanese so it's great trade off :) 
Also, I learn about things that are polite and not polite to do in Japan.  Such as... apparently touching your hair is bad in japan.... yeah.. bad habit that I have GOT to STOP.  If you know me, you know that I have a bad habit of playing with my hair so I definitely have to stop because the Japanese think it's gross... And also biting one's nails is also gross too. Yeah... I've got some work to do. However, she was impressed when I grabbed for food on the table with the other side of my chopsticks (you never grab with the side you eat with.  Equal to the don't double dip rule)
Yesterday was Fast Sunday!  It wasn't as bad as last month and I think it's because it's a lot cooler and we were able to study in the afternoon.  (Tojo Shimai really stresses language study... :D)  Then we went to a members home and had dinner.  This kind family invited all 8 missionaries (2 sets each of sisters and elders) to her home for some gyoza (pot stickers), rice, veggies, and mabodofu!  Super oishii!  (delicious)  We pretty much stuffed ourselves full.  Also, the Japanese prepare their gyoza differently.. meaning.. better.  They cook it all next to each other and then flip them all at once, like a giant potsticker pancake.  So cool!

So, first day in Kyoto. We go out housing and streeting and I had the typical foreign missionary experience. We ping ponged a door and Tojo shimai stepped back and let me do all the talking.... O_o  I stumbled over all my words but at least it made the person actually come out to talk to us because he had no idea what I was saying :).  But that's one tactic ;)
So now I've been working on different phrases that I can memorize for now until my japanese gets better.  I'm hoping that they relate to people better.  The Japanese really value family and children so I'm going to go along the lines of that for streeting/housing.  

You wanna know what season it is?  Typhoon season!  Woo!  That means I am SUPER grateful for my rainsuit. It's the best :)  And I'm dry!  woo woo! 


Love,
Bevan 姉妹


Kamo (Duck) River in Kyoto



It's Monsoon time - love my rain suit!!


Bevan Shimai and her new companion Tojo Shimai

Kobe District Meeting just before transfers